Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Skil Cross-Line Laser Level


    Well, my wife will be the first to tell you that I am no carpenter. Over the years I have done several light carpentry jobs around the house. As time goes on I am becoming more proficient and learning what tools to use. So far things have gone well and although I always seem to make more than one trip to the hardware store, I have yet to make a trip to the Emergency Room :) One of the tools that I have found very helpful is the Skil cross-line Laser Level.

 The project I have used this tool for the most was creating custom wainscotting for our new home. I created it by using chair rail and base cap for the squares. Getting the squares and trim to line up just right and be level would have been quite a challenge if it weren't for my handy little tool. When I first started on this project I was using a tape measure and chalk line. I quickly discovered how messy a chalk line can be. With little ones running around many parents know there are enough messes to clean up without blue powder everywhere. I set out (again) to the hardware store in search of a laser level.
     Prior to becoming a firefighter I was a painter for almost 10 years. I had a laser level that I had used for various painting projects. I stopped using it because it was the kind that sticks to the wall and it would always fall off. When I arrived at Lowe's there were several choices for laser levels. After looking at all of them I chose the Skil based on price and the fact that it came with a tripod. Set up was a breeze. The 3 legs have 2 positions each to adjust height and there is an extension that comes out the top using a crank for precise raising and lowering. The laser beam will project up to 30 ft. and projects on multiple walls at a time. You can select horizontal line, vertical, or both. I found that I did not have to move it around very much do to the fact that it projects on multiple walls. After having used the chalk line I found this tool to be much more precise and alot less messy! No blue powder floating in the house now! The Skil laser level can be purchased at Lowe's for $89.99 which is significantly cheaper than the other models there. It comes with a case for both the tripod and the level itself. I am very happy with my purchase and am pleased with how it helped me with my project. I am looking forward to using it on other projects down the road. Most of all my wife was very happy with how it turned out. Thanks to the Skil laser level it looks like an actual carpenter did it...for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment